All People Have Dignity and Worth
You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.
The Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act that created protection and advocacy organizations puts forth the following values:
- Disability is a natural part of the human experience
- Disability does not diminish the right to live independently or to exert control and choice in your life
- Because people with disabilities are at a greater risk for abuse, neglect, exploitation, and violation of legal and human rights, protection and advocacy organizations like Disability Rights Texas are needed
At Disability Rights Texas, we have a vision of a society where all people have worth and dignity. People with disabilities have basic human needs that are no different from those of all people. They have a right to freedom from neglect, exploitation, discrimination and isolation, and a right to be included in all aspects of their communities.
In this society, people with disabilities:
- Speak and act for themselves, are self-determined, represent their own interests, make decisions, and take risks based on their own goals and values
- Have access to health and human services that meet basic needs and have equal access to employment, independent living, and economic and social self-sufficiency
- Live free of abuse, neglect, financial and sexual exploitation, and violation of their legal and human rights