Advancing the Rights of Texans with Disabilities
Disability Rights Texas recognizes the varied needs of people with disabilities in Texas. As such, the scope of our work includes the following service priorities:
A comprehensive survey of our clients, staff, policymakers and people with disabilities in Texas has helped us identify these service priorities, which are re-established every four years and reviewed annually by the Board of Directors. Because we cannot respond to all protection and advocacy needs within the state, the priority setting process helps us determine which issues and groups have the greatest need — so that our limited resources can be put to the best use.
Please note that the demand for our services far exceeds the availability of our staff and attorneys. Cases are selected based on available resources and our priority areas. If your problem is not accepted as a case, you have the right to appeal our decision.
In deciding whether we can represent you directly, we will consider:
- The specifics of your case
- Other resources available to you
- Your ability to advocate for yourself
- Whether your problem falls within one of our service areas as determined through public surveys and board approval
- Availability of resources within our organization
- The extent to which your case may benefit others with disabilities
Please remember that we only represent people with disabilities.
Unfortunately we are NOT able to provide financial assistance, and we do NOT provide legal services in the following areas:
- Criminal Law
- Family Law (divorce, child custody, etc.)
- Identity Theft
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Personal Injury
- Social Security Determinations or Appeals
If you need general information referral regarding services available to people with disabilities in Texas, please call 2-1-1.