PAIMI Advisory Council
Members of the PAIMI (Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Mental Illness) Advisory Council reflect the diverse constituency served by Disability Rights Texas (DRTx). We are mandated by the Federal PAIMI Act, the purpose of which is to assist states to establish and operate a protection and advocacy system for individuals with mental illness and protect and advocate for the rights of such individuals through activities to ensure the enforcement of the Constitution, Federal and State statutes. Pursuant to federal statute, the Council “…will advise the system on policies and priorities to be carried out in protecting and advocating for the rights of mentally ill individuals…”
Persons with mental illness, family members and professionals are all represented on the Council. DRTx and the PAIMI Advisory Council are also committed to appointing members representative of Texas’ diverse ethnic and cultural communities and makes efforts to ensure the Council reflects different geographic areas of the state.
In order to be eligible for membership on the Advisory Council, an individual must reside in the State of Texas, cannot be a relative or significant other of a current Advisory Council member, and cannot be an employee of DRTx.
Subject to these limitations, the Advisory Council shall consist of:
- At least one (1) attorney
- Mental health professionals
- Individuals from the public who are knowledgeable about people who are labeled mentally ill, the advocacy needs of persons with mental illness, and have demonstrated a substantial commitment to improving mental health services
- Providers of mental health services
- Individuals who have received or are receiving mental health services
- Individuals who are family members of individuals who have received or are receiving mental health services.
- At least one member shall be a primary caregiver for an individual who is current a minor child
To apply: You may obtain an application by clicking on the “PAIMI Advisory Council Application” link below or by contacting Sara Record at (512) 407-2741 or email@example.com. Disability Rights Texas will accept applications for membership on the PAIMI Advisory Council throughout the next several month for terms beginning Fall 2019.
- More about the PAIMI Advisory Council (Adobe Portable Document Format, 202 KB)
- PAIMI Advisory Council Application (Adobe Portable Document Format, 490 KB)