How to Register to Vote in Texas

Disability Rights Texas Handout

To request this handout in ASL, Braille, or as an audio file, contact us.

How To Register to Vote in Texas

Who May Register to Vote in Texas?

Any United States citizen residing in Texas who:

How Do I Register to Vote?

Where Can I Get A Registration Form to Mail In or Register To Vote in Person?

Registration forms look like postcards. They are available in many languages. They are available at the following places:

The offices that have the registration forms must also help you complete the forms, unless you refuse assistance. In addition, political parties, activists groups, and private citizens can give out application forms. If they do, they must help you register, too, whether or not you agree with their politics or point of view.

If I Am Registering by Mail, Do I Need to Send Anything Else Besides the Form?

No, not unless this is the first time you have registered to vote. First-time voters must also send in a photocopy of identification along with their registration form. Acceptable ID includes: A driver’s license; bank statement; utility bill; pay check; or other government document that shows your name and address.

Note: If you chose not to send in a copy of identification when registering to vote as a first time voter, you will be required to show identification at the polls when you go to vote for the first time.

What is the deadline to register to vote for an upcoming election?

What If I Have a Disability and Cannot Leave the House?

What If I Am Staying in a Hospital or Other Institution That Is Not in My Home County?

If you reside in an institution, or somewhere else that is not in the same county as your permanent address, you can register to vote by mail in the county where your permanent address is. Then you can vote at your current residence with a vote-by-mail ballot. (See handout on Alternative Voting Options.)

What If I Need Help to Register?

Anyone of your choice can help you register. Anyone you choose may fill out the registration card for you, in your presence. If you cannot sign you name, you may have a “witness” sign on your behalf. If you can make a mark of any kind, do so, in the signature line. Have your “witness” sign and date their name under the signature line, to indicate that they acted as your witness.

Is There a Way to Find out If I Am Already Registered to Vote?

You can call the Secretary of State’s office at 1.800.252.8683: This is the same number you would call to request an application by mail or to seek answers to any voting related question. 

What Happens After I Register?

How Do I Make Changes to My Voter Registration Certificate?

If you move within the same county, promptly notify the Voter Registrar, in writing, of your new address by:

You will receive a new certificate with your new address. You will be able to vote in your new precinct 30 days after your change of address is submitted.

If you move to another county

You must re-register! Fill out a new application and mail it, or take it in person, to the Voter Registrar of your new county, or register in any way that is listed above. You will be registered 30 days after your application is submitted. You will receive a new certificate.

If you have a name change

More Information

For further information, contact:

Secretary of State Elections Division
P.O. Box 12060
Austin, Texas 78711-2060

512-463-5650 or 800-252-VOTE (8683)
Fax: 512-475-2811;
TTY: 7-1-1

If you need assistance in registering to vote, have questions regarding voting, or feel that any of your voting rights have been violated please contact Disability Rights Texas at 1-888-796-VOTE (8683) or email

Last updated: August 28, 2020
Publication Code: HA24

Disability Rights Texas logo
Statewide Intake: 1-800-252-9108
Sign Language Video Phone: 1-866-362-2851
Purple 2 Video Phone: 512-271-9391
Online Intake available 24/7:

Disclaimer: Disability Rights Texas strives to update its materials on an annual basis, and this handout is based upon the law at the time it was written. The law changes frequently and is subject to various interpretations by different courts. Future changes in the law may make some information in this handout inaccurate.

The handout is not intended to and does not replace an attorney’s advice or assistance based on your particular situation.