Disability Rights Texas Handout
To request this handout in ASL, Braille, or as an audio file, contact us.
The Client Assistance Program (CAP) in Texas
If you are a person who has a disability, the Client Assistance Program (CAP) may be able to help you to reach your goals to live more independently and go to work. This is what we do. CAP helps people who are getting services, or who are trying to get services, from the Texas Workforce Solutions Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program, TWS-VR, and the Independent Living Centers, ILCs that receive federal funds.
CAP is administered by and located within Disability Rights Texas, a nonprofit organization that is not part of any state agency.
CAP helps people with disabilities by:
- Providing information about disability rights, employment, vocational rehabilitation, and independent living;
- Referring people with disabilities to programs and services;
- Helping people apply for, understand, and receive services from TWC-VR and ILCs programs;
- Using the appeals process to file a complaint and resolve a grievance;
- Providing legal assistance and advice;
- Providing information on Title I of the ADA of 1990;
- Conducting education and training to the community; and
- Taking your concerns to state agency administrators and the Rehabilitation Council of Texas to make recommendations on policies and practices.
At CAP, we believe in clients exercising informed choice. We believe that people with disabilities should have the same opportunities to work, play, and live in their communities as everyone else. We are committed to listening to your needs and preferences and helping you make choices. We believe that people with disabilities who want to go to work can successfully do so, if they receive the right services and supports.
Please feel free to contact us if you are interested in learning more about CAP or would like us to assist you in applying for services from or resolving a complaint with TWS-VR or ILCs.
Additionally, if you are a vocational rehabilitation client and have an employment discrimination complaint, please contact us.
For assistance, call us Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at any of the following numbers:
- 1-800-252-9108 (Statewide Intake Line) – when listening to the options, press 5 for vocational rehab/CAP
- 1-866-362-2851 (Sign Language Video Phone)
- 512-271-9391 (Purple 2 Video Phone)
You can also apply for CAP services online 24/7 at intake.DRTx.org.
Last updated: February 12, 2021
Publication Code: EM1 – Revised
Disclaimer: Disability Rights Texas strives to update its materials on an annual basis, and this handout is based upon the law at the time it was written. The law changes frequently and is subject to various interpretations by different courts. Future changes in the law may make some information in this handout inaccurate.
The handout is not intended to and does not replace an attorney’s advice or assistance based on your particular situation.Print This Page