Table of Contents
Disability Rights Texas Handout
To request this handout in ASL, Braille, or as an audio file, contact us.
The Client Assistance Program (CAP) in Texas
If you are a person who has a disability, the Client Assistance Program (CAP) may be able to help you to reach your goals to live more independently and go to work.
Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) administers the Client Assistance Program in Texas. Our CAP specialists can help you break through barriers to achieve your personal goals and dreams.
Disability Rights Texas is the federally designated legal protection and advocacy agency for people with disabilities in Texas. The mission of DRTx is to help people with disabilities understand and exercise their rights under the law, ensuring their full and equal participation in society.
What is CAP?
The Client Assistance Program (CAP) helps people who are getting services or who are trying to get services from Texas Workforce Solutions – Vocational Rehabilitation Services (TWC-VRS) or Independent Living Centers (ILCs) that receive federal funds.
Our priorities include helping individuals with disabilities gain access to and benefit from rehabilitation services leading to employment, independent living and greater community participation.
CAP is administered by and located within Disability Rights Texas. DRTx is not part of any state agency, and there are no fees for CAP services. All services are confidential.
Better Choices, Greater Opportunities
At Disability Rights Texas, we believe that people with disabilities should have the same opportunities to work, play and live in their communities as everyone else. We are committed to understanding your needs and choices and helping you make informed decisions.
We believe that people with disabilities who want to go to work can successfully do so if they receive the right services and supports.
How We Can Help
CAP specialists helps people with disabilities by:
- Providing information about disability rights, employment, vocational rehabilitation, and independent living
- Referring people with disabilities to programs and services
- Helping people apply for, understand, and receive services from TWC-VR and ILCs programs
- Using the appeals process to file a complaint and resolve a grievance
- Providing legal assistance and advice
- Providing information on Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990
- Conducting education and training in the community
- Advocating with state agency administrators and the Rehabilitation Council of Texas to make recommendations on policies and practices
If you are interested in learning more about CAP or would like DRTx to assist you in applying for services or resolving a complaint with TWS-VR or ILCs, please give us a call.
In addition, if you are a vocational rehabilitation client and have an employment discrimination complaint, please contact DRTx for assistance.
Intake Phone Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.:
- Statewide Intake Line for New Callers: 1-800-252-9108 (when listening to the options, press 5 for vocational rehab/CAP)
- Sign Language Video Phone: 1-866-362-2851
- Purple 2 Video Phone: 512-271-9391
You can also apply for CAP services online at anytime at intake.DRTx.org.
Last updated: May 26, 2021
Publication Code: EM1 – Revised
Disclaimer: Disability Rights Texas strives to update its materials on an annual basis, and this handout is based upon the law at the time it was written. The law changes frequently and is subject to various interpretations by different courts. Future changes in the law may make some information in this handout inaccurate.
The handout is not intended to and does not replace an attorney’s advice or assistance based on your particular situation.Print This Page