Disability Rights Texas Handout
To request this handout in ASL, Braille, or as an audio file, contact us.
Disability Rights Texas sent a letter to Texas Governor Greg Abbott on December 10, 2020, requesting communication related to the COVID-19 vaccine be accessible to people with disabilities as required by federal and state law.
The letter included the following resources for government agencies to use in creating accessible communications. We are providing these resources on our website for other organizations and businesses to reference as well. This list is for general reference and does not constitute legal advice and is not exhaustive.
- Texas Governor’s Office of People with Disabilities Facebook post: information for broadcasters on steps that need to be taken in order to make sure information is accessible. Post links to Texas Division of Emergency Management Effective Communications toolkit.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Creating Accessible PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Adobe
- CDC clear communication index
- CDC’s Crisis and Emergency Risk Communications (CERC)
- ADA-Title II Accessibility
- ADA-Title II Emergency Management Toolkit
- Plain language guidelines
Created: December 10, 2020
Publication Code: AC 27
Disclaimer: Disability Rights Texas strives to update its materials on an annual basis, and this handout is based upon the law at the time it was written. The law changes frequently and is subject to various interpretations by different courts. Future changes in the law may make some information in this handout inaccurate.
The handout is not intended to and does not replace an attorney’s advice or assistance based on your particular situation.
Print This Page