How to Apply for Services
If you are a person with a disability in the state of Texas and you are experiencing a legal problem or are having difficulty obtaining disability services, Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) might be able to help you. To apply for services and get help from DRTx, you will go through our intake process. After the intake process is complete, we will let you know if we can help you.
If you aren’t sure if your situation is something we can help with, visit our How We Decide What Cases We Take page for information about what we consider when reviewing your request.
To apply for services so you can possibly get help from us, get started by using one of the intake methods listed below.
Apply for Services Online
You can apply for services 24/7 with our online intake form. To begin the intake process, just submit an Online Service Request.
Apply for Services by Phone
To apply for services via phone, you can call our intake phone line Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Time.
- Call 1-800-252-9108, then press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish
- To select which scenario applies to you, choose one of these two options:
- Press 1 if you are calling from a psychiatric hospital, state supported living center, or a jail; or if you have questions or concerns about mental health services
- Press 2 for all other services
- Select one of the the following options:
- Press 1 if you calling from an institution
- Press 2 for special education
- Press 3 for Medicaid, healthcare, community services, or guardianship
- Press 4 for employment, transportation, housing, or education after high school
- Press 5 for vocational rehabilitation (CAP) or social security benefits (PABSS)
- Press 6 for all other issues not mentioned
Apply for Services by Sign Language Phone
If you use sign language, you can begin the intake process and apply for services using one of our two sign language phone lines. These lines accept calls Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Time. The types of phone lines and phone numbers are listed below.
- Sign Language Video Phone: 1-866-362-2851
- Purple 2 Video Phone: 512-271-9391
Requesting an Accommodation
If the intake options listed above aren’t accessible for you, you can request an accommodation for an alternative way to apply for services by emailing email@example.com. (We will only accept requests related to accommodations for intake at this email address.)
The Intake Process
When you go through the intake process and apply for services, you will be asked questions about yourself and your issue. Questions could include:
- Your name, address, and phone number, so that we can reach you later if we have more questions
- The nature of your disability
- Some facts about your problem (what happened and when, why, and how it happened) to help us determine how best to help you
If you have documents related to your issue, have that information ready when you go through intake, whether online or by phone. We will review your request for assistance and assign it to an advocate or attorney.
Once we have completed your intake, we will contact you about your request within 10 business days. If we are able to investigate your claims or accept your case, you will receive an acceptance letter. If we cannot help you directly, we may be able to provide useful information and referrals. You can also visit our Other Sources for Help page for information about other organizations, programs, and services that could help you.
If we deny your request for services and you are dissatisfied with this decision, you can file a case denial appeal. A case denial appeal must be filed within 20 days of the denial letter. For information about filing a case denial appeal, visit our Appeals and Complaints Process page.