Board of Directors
ANNOUNCEMENT: We are now accepting applications for new board members to begin a term of service on October 1, 2022. Deadline for applications is August 5, 2022. Please read the information below to learn more about our board. For a complete job description click here.
2022 Board Meeting Dates
- February 5, 2022
- May 12 – 14, 2022 (In conjunction with all staff meeting)
- July 23, 2022
- September 24, 2022
For additional information about meeting locations and agendas, contact our headquarters in Austin at 512-454-4816.
About the DRTx Board of Directors
Members of the Board reflect the diverse constituency served by the agency. We are mandated by federal acts to serve individuals with developmental, mental, sensory, physical and other disabilities. Persons with disabilities, family members and professionals are all represented on the Board. DRTx is also committed to selecting members representative of Texas’ diverse ethnic and cultural communities and makes every effort to ensure the Board reflects different geographic areas of the state.
The agency’s formal bylaws cover the make-up, duties, powers, terms of office and other details concerning our Board. The Board establishes the duties, powers and terms of office for other positions. The following is a less formal summary of information that is intended to answer frequently asked questions.
- How many people serve on the Board of Directors? Typically, sixteen (16) people serve on the Board.
- Who selects members of the Board? Fifteen members are selected by the DRTx Board and one is the chairperson of the Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Mental Illness (PAIMI) Council.
- How long are the terms of each appointment? Terms of service are staggered and may vary in length. Most terms are three (3) years with an option for a second three-year term. Occasionally there is a three-year term with the option of a second two-year term, or a four-year term with no second term option.
- How many Board meetings are held each year, and where are they held? Four (4) meetings are held each year. Generally, three (3) meetings are held in Austin and one (1) is held in a different area of the state to be more accessible to our constituents.
- How long are the meetings and what other time obligations are there? Regular Board meetings are usually held on the fourth Saturday in January, April, July and September. Committees of the Board usually meet by teleconference. Board members usually serve on at least two committees of the Board. Committees include: Finance, Personnel, Resource Development, Strategic Planning, Bylaws and Policies, Labor Negotiations, Client Grievance, Nominations, and Executive.
- What about expenses for Board members? All travel and room and board expenses connected with the Board meetings are paid by DRTx. Travel advances are available if needed. The agency also covers reasonable accommodations for Board members with disabilities. Members are not paid an honorarium for their services.
- What about conflicts of interests? Some Board members may have an economic or loyalty conflict, and of course, must abstain from voting or deliberating in any action involving whatever causes the conflict. The Board’s conflict of interest policy should be thoughtfully reviewed by all applicants.
- How do I apply for a position on the Board? You may fill out an application and submit it along with a current resume at any time. Notices of vacancies are placed on our website and sent to numerous organizations on a regular basis.
- What kind of monetary contribution is asked of Board members each year? We recognize that our Board members represent all segments of society and that some individuals are able to contribute financially more than others. We simply ask that you determine your appropriate contribution to Disability Rights Texas to help sustain our programs and services. Examples may include seeking financial support for the agency from friends, family, colleagues, businesses, personal giving, in-kind contributions, and other activities as is appropriate to your individual circumstances.
- Where can I get more information? Please email Shirley DeBerry at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.