Our Foster Care Program provides legal representation through court appointment to children with disabilities in foster care.
Important facts about children in foster care:
- They are more likely than their peers to not finish high school, to be incarcerated, and to experience homelessness.
- The goal for these children is permanency through reunification with their family or adoption. However, Texas children with a disability in foster care are half as likely to experience one of those outcomes.
- Those who do not achieve permanent placement and who “age out” of the system at age 18 often end up institutionalized or incarcerated.
By representing the legal needs of this unique youth population, Disability Rights Texas continues to change the course of the lives of thousands of foster care children in our state. Because of our innovative approach, we have witnessed children’s lives transform in tangible ways. Caseworkers, lawyers, and judges from around Texas request our involvement in cases due to our innovative approaches and expertise.
Courts appoint DRTx to represent foster children and help them navigate the systems with which they are involved. Services provided include:
- Educational advocacy
- Cross-system advocacy
- Reasonable accommodations
- Representation in Medicaid fair hearings
- Transition out of foster care
- Discharge from institutional settings
- Psychotropic medication monitoring
- Trauma-informed care
- Trust-based relational intervention (TBRI)
Because our agency specializes in advocacy for people with disabilities, we understand the rights and needs of these children and develop innovative solutions.
Our ultimate goal is to help them achieve a successful placement in the community with supports and services in place to allow them to thrive.
These resources are provided for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
Warehoused: Inappropriate Institutionalization of Texas Foster Youth
Learn about how foster youth were admitted for five- to seven-day emergency stays in psychiatric hospitals but then remained for months after professionals determined they were ready for discharge. Continue reading Warehoused: Inappropriate Institutionalization of Texas Foster Youth
DRTx Foster Care Program
This video describes what the DRTx Foster Care Program does and highlights a success story achieved by the program. Continue reading DRTx Foster Care Program
CASA Interview: DRTx Foster Care Program
Learn about DRTx’s Foster Care Program in this interview by Texas CASA. Continue reading CASA Interview: DRTx Foster Care Program