After high school, students with disabilities who received special education services can still get accommodations at college, trade or vocational school, and other places where they go to get special training and certifications. But instead of being protected by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), there are other federal laws that protect them.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 are the two main laws that protect the rights of people with disabilities in such institutions. In Texas, Chapter 121 of the Texas Human Resources Code provides additional protection to people with disabilities.

This resource page provides information to assist you in understanding your rights, how to get accommodations, and other information.

These resources are provided for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

Link back to Service Priorities Main Page.