by Edie Surtees, Communications Director
March is Developmental Disabilities (DD) Awareness Month. Though we’ve come along way in breaking down barriers for people with DD to live and work and play in the community, we still have more to do. Here are some things you can do to encourage inclusion:
- Employ people with disabilities and pay them a competitive, fair wage.
- Ensure all your meetings and events are accessible.
- Speak directly to the person with a disability instead of letting another person speak for them.
- See people with disabilities as valuable consumers.
- Include the input of people with disabilities when creating emergency plans for floods, tornadoes, etc.
- Provide captions for photos and videos.
- Engage with people with disabilities in your community by volunteering at places like The Arc in your city or region.
For more ideas, see 25 Simple Ways We Can All Be Disability-Inclusive.