Speaker and Exhibit Requests
We appreciate your requests and are able to fulfill them on a limited basis. Because we are a nonprofit organization, our limited resources means we cannot fulfill every request we receive. When reviewing whether or not we will fulfill a request, the following things are considered:
- Primary target audience is people with disabilities, parents of children with disabilities, disability advocates, an underserved culturally diverse group, or an underserved geographic area of the state of Texas
- The speaking opportunity includes a keynote address or one or more breakout sessions at a large state or regional conference with primary target audience stated above in attendance
Topics we offer are limited to the following:
- Overview of legal advocacy services provided by Disability Rights Texas
- Overview of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Employment rights
- Independent Living Centers Self-Advocacy
- Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of Social Security (PABSS)
- Rights of people with disabilities in state hospitals or state supported living centers
- Special Education: Advocating for appropriate transition services
- Special Education: Advocating for inclusive placements for students
- Special Education: Rights of students and parents
- Special Education: Advocating for positive behavior supports
- Supported decision making/alternatives to guardianship
- Transportation rights
- Understanding Social Security disability programs, applicable work incentives, and benefits for those who want to work
- Vocational Rehab Self-Advocacy
- Voting: How to make your polling site accessible (for poll workers)
- Voting: Rights of people with disabilities (for people with disabilties or poll workers)
- Working with Independent Living Centers and Programs
- Working with the Texas Vocational Rehab System (Client Assistance Program)
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF 4 WEEKS NOTICE PRIOR to your event for your request to be considered. CLICK HERE to complete our online form to request a speaker for your group. An answer will be provided to you within 7-10 business days. (If you are submitting your request in December for a later date, we require 6 weeks notice and it may take longer for us to respond to your request due to our offices being closed during the holidays.) Also, we will consider providing a speaker on Friday evenings or weekends on a extremely limited basis.
Because of the unique nature of our work, participating in events/conferences by having an exhibit or table is often not the most effective way to communicate what we do.
We instead prefer and ask that we can either provide brochures for another participating organization to include at its exhibit or that you consider asking us to provide a speaker for a keynote or breakout session on topics mentioned above for the primary target audiences listed above. We are able to particpate as exhibitors at events on a limited basis and will give priority to requests that meet similar criteria to that listed in the speaker request section above.
Because of limited funding, we are unable to pay a fee for exhibiting at events.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF 8 WEEKS NOTICE PRIOR to your event for your request to be considered. CLICK HERE to complete our online form to request our agency to exhibit at your event. An answer will be provided to you within 10 business days.