If you are a person with a disability who believes your rights may have been violated, call our intake line Mon-Fri 9a - 4p at 1-800-252-9108.
All People Have Dignity and Worth
The Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act that created protection and advocacy organizations puts forth the following values:
- Disability is a natural part of the human experience
- Disability does not diminish the right to live independently or to exert control and choice in your life
- Because people with disabilities are at a greater risk for abuse, neglect, exploitation, and violation of legal and human rights, protection and advocacy organizations like Disability Rights Texas are needed
At Disability Rights Texas, we have a vision of a society where all people have worth and dignity. People with disabilities have basic human needs that are no different from those of all people. They have a right to freedom from neglect, exploitation, discrimination and isolation, and a right to be included in all aspects of their communities.
In this society, people with disabilities:
- Speak and act for themselves, are self-determined, represent their own interests, make decisions, and take risks based on their own goals and values
- Have access to health and human services that meet basic needs and have equal access to employment, independent living, and economic and social self-sufficiency
- Live free of abuse, neglect, financial and sexual exploitation, and violation of their legal and human rights
- Have the right to legal representation and due process of law before any legal rights are restricted
Special Op Ed
Liz Newhouse, a former DRTx board member, has written the following thought-provoking opinion piece that underscores the importance of supporting all members of our communities.
Liz Newhouse OpEd