Members of the media interested in leveraging the extensive disability rights expertise of our attorneys, advocates, or policy specialists are encouraged to contact the Disability Rights Texas Communications Director at (512) 407-2739 or commdir@DRTx.org.
Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) is a private, nonprofit agency that protects and advocates for the legal rights of Texans with a broad range of disabilities. We are designated by the federal government as the protection and advocacy agency (P&A) for the state of Texas. Please note our media guidelines:
- All media inquiries must first be made through the DRTx Communications Director.
- Please take a few minutes to read about using People First Language when writing about disability issues. For instance, statements like “people with disabilities” and “uses a wheelchair” are preferred instead of “the disabled” or “wheelchair bound.”
- Reporters calling in response to a recently distributed DRTx press release can typically expect a same day response time when calling prior to 1 pm CST.
- Because our staff experts are also providing direct client services that include court appearances and filing deadlines, it is sometimes not possible for DRTx to fulfill last minute or same day requests from reporters calling about issues that we have not proactively pitched.
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for the latest breaking news on disability rights issues, or see our press releases below.
News Making Headlines
State agency broke federal IDEA law by ending criticial children's services in East Texas
January 13, 2017
Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid and Disability Rights Texas filed suit today on behalf of three children in Bexar County.
December 06, 2016
East Texas Parents Seek Restitution for Young Daughter Due to Lapse in Critical Early Childhood Therapy Services
November 29, 2016
Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) is disappointed by the Texas Education Agency’s (TEA) defensive response filed with the DOE
November 02, 2016
View All News Making Headlines
DRTx Responds to DOJ Monitoring Reports
After four years of efforts to improve, the Denton SSLC has reached ZERO compliance in ten of 20 provision sections.
December 02, 2013
As compliance deadline passes, San Angelo facility has reached zero percent compliance in ten of 20 major provision sections.
November 12, 2013
After four years of efforts to improve, the Lubbock SSLC has reached zero percent compliance in eleven of 20 provisions.
November 12, 2013
Lufkin SSLC out of compliance in 116 out of 171 areas
October 15, 2013
View All DRTx Responses to DOJ Monitoring Reports
DOJ Monitoring Reports