Members of the media interested in leveraging the extensive disability rights expertise of our attorneys, advocates, or policy specialists are encouraged to contact the Disability Rights Texas Communications Director at (512) 407-2739 or commdir@DRTx.org.
Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) is a private, nonprofit agency that protects and advocates for the legal rights of Texans with a broad range of disabilities. We are designated by the federal government as the protection and advocacy agency (P&A) for the state of Texas.
Reporting and Writing About People With Disabilities
Please note our media guidelines:
- All media inquiries must first be made through the DRTx Communications Director.
- Please take a few minutes to read about using People First Language when writing about disability issues. For instance, statements like “people with disabilities” and “uses a wheelchair” are preferred instead of “the disabled” or “wheelchair bound.”
- Reporters calling in response to a recently distributed DRTx press release can typically expect a same day response time when calling prior to 1 pm CST.
- Because our staff experts are providing direct client services that include court appearances and filing deadlines, it is not always possible for DRTx to fulfill last minute or same day requests from reporters.
- A minimum of 48 hours lead time on new inquiries from the media to speak to one of our staff experts is preferable.
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for the latest breaking news on disability rights issues, or see our press releases below.
News Making Headlines
July 7 press conference and deputy registrar training kicks off National Disability Voter Registration Week
June 27, 2016
Advocates call upon governor to do more to protect those in state supported living centers from lead in water
May 24, 2016
Transit authority in Harris County teams up with riders with visual impairment and DRTx on digital accessibility
March 17, 2016
Texas has passed a new law making supported decision making a legally recognized alternative to guardianship.
March 09, 2016
View All News Making Headlines
DRTx Responds to DOJ Monitoring Reports
After four years of efforts to improve, the Denton SSLC has reached ZERO compliance in ten of 20 provision sections.
December 02, 2013
As compliance deadline passes, San Angelo facility has reached zero percent compliance in ten of 20 major provision sections.
November 12, 2013
After four years of efforts to improve, the Lubbock SSLC has reached zero percent compliance in eleven of 20 provisions.
November 12, 2013
Lufkin SSLC out of compliance in 116 out of 171 areas
October 15, 2013
View All DRTx Responses to DOJ Monitoring Reports
DOJ Monitoring Reports