Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) is a non-profit organization that helps people with disabilities understand and exercise their rights under the law, ensuring their full and equal participation in society. For more information on our organization, click here and visit our YouTube channel. We are only accepting applications for the positions listed below. Review the summary and then, if interested, download and read the full job description by clicking on the link provided.
If you wish to apply for an open position at DRTx, please follow these instructions:
- First, download and complete our employment application (click here to download the application).
- Second, compose a letter of interest that a) identifies what particular position you are applying for and the location of the position, b) why you are interested in working at DRTx with a narrative summary of your qualifications for the position, and c) your desired salary range and if you are willing to relocate at your own expense to the position's location (if you do not already live in the area).
- Third, make sure you resume is up to date and includes all positions you've held that are related to the job which you are applying as our salaries are commensurate with years of licensure or related experience and education of similarly situated employees.
- Fourth, send all three documents together in an email (preferably in pdf format) to email@example.com or via a fax to 888.871.3898 (no cover sheet is necessary).
Failing to provide all three documents or identify the required matters in your letter of interest constitutes an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will be not be accepted or considered. DRTx is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment upon any unlawful basis. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to inquire about employment. We make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees who have a disability. If you are in need of an accommodation to apply for one of our positions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Houston, TX: ATTORNEY - focusing on clients with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
An entry level attorney opportunity to be housed in our North Houston, Texas office (near Bush Intercontinental Airport), this position will primarily serve clients with moderate to severe intellectual and developmental disabilities who reside in State Supported Living Centers. However, this position may serve other clients as assigned. Please refer to the full job description (click here to access) for detailed information on the positions essential job functions, requirements, and qualifications. Disability Right Texas is a unionized workplace. As such, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for which this position is subject to, the pay for this position is based solely on years of attorney licensure.
- San Antonio or Austin, TX: ADVOCATE (Non Attorney) - focusing on Mental Health
An entry to mid level advocate opportunity, this position will primarily serve clients with severe mental illness who reside in an institution such as a state hospital or jail, but may serve other clients as assigned. Applicants seeking employment in San Antonio or Austin, TX are asked to apply, but only one position is available to be filled at this time. Please refer to the full job description (click here to access) for detailed information on the positions essential job functions, requirements, and qualifications. Disability Right Texas is a unionized workplace. As such, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for which this position is subject to, the pay for this position is based on years of relevant experience and education equal to similarly situated employees.
Employees of DRTx receive a very competetive benefits package*, including those listed below. A proud recipient of the 2016 World at Work Seal of Distinction, DRTx is honored to be recognized as an employer of choice that demonstrates leadership in creating a culture that supports employees at work and at home. Read more about the award here.
- Paid health insurance
- Paid dental insurance
- Paid vision discount plan
- Paid life insurance
- Paid long term care insurance
- Paid long term disability insurance
- Tax-free spending and savings accounts for healthcare related expenses
- Tax-free account for dependent day care expenses
- 12+ days of accrued paid vacation per year, at hire, increasing with tenure
- 12+ days of accrued paid sick time per year, at hire
- 2+ days of paid personal time per year, at hire
- 15 paid holidays per year, including the the period of December 24 - January 1
- Up to 6 weeks of paid parental leave for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child
- Up to 4 weeks of paid bereavement leave for the death of certain family members
- 401(k) retirement account including a 7% contribution made by DRTx, regardless of what an employee does or does not contribute pre-tax or roth
- Flexible schedules, compressed work weeks, and opportunities to work via telecommuting are available for certain positions
- Certain employees may be eligible for student loan repayment assistance and forgivenss programs
*benefits listed are subject to certain provisions, policies and agreements, and are subject to change.
All extended job offers are contingent upon the results of a comprehensive background check. Having a criminal record will not automatically eliminate a job offer.
DRTx does not accept contacts or resumes from any search firms or staffing agencies, unless previous agreements have been made. All unsolicited resumes will be considered Disability Rights Texas' property, and Disability Rights Texas will not be obligated to pay a referral fee. This includes resumes submitted directly to hiring managers or in any manner outside the identified process detailed above.